South Leinster Trophy
SOUTH LEINSTER TROPHY RULES 2017
(Holders NAAS Golf Club)
Contact - Mr Ger Murray. Phone 085-0717300
Entries for the above competition, accompanied by an Entrance Fee of €100 per club, should be lodged with the Secretary, Carlow Golf Club, not later than Friday 7th March 2017. The main provisions of the Rules governing the Competition are as follows:
1. The tournament shall be organised and run by Carlow Golf Club and the trophy, which is perpetual, shall be known as the “South Leinster Trophy”. The South Leinster Trophy and Pennant shall be presented to the Manager of the winning team.
2. Each Club may enter only ONE team. Each team consists of seven male (7) players and all matches must be played to a finish unless an overall result has been reached. Caddies are not permitted at any stage of the competition.
3. For players of 16 handicap and upwards, on the 1st January 2017 playing singles matchplay off scratch.
4. In order to be eligible to compete in the South Leinster Trophy a player shall have, in the calendar
year prior to the event, made a minimum of four returns in qualifying competitions (supplementary
scores are not included), all of which must be recorded on the handicap records of
the player’s home club on or before 31st December 2016.
Note: If a player changes his club during the previous calendar year, it is his responsibility to
produce evidence of having competed in a minimum of four Qualifying Competitions.
5. The respective Team Captains about to engage in a match shall exchange simultaneously, the
names and handicaps of the members of their team in correct order of play with the names and
handicaps of reserves not less than 30 minutes before the start of the match.
6. Except in the case of sudden illness or other emergency which is considered by both Team
Managers to be sufficient justification, no alteration can be made to the list handed in, either in the
matter of players or in the order of play.
Reserves taking the place of players after the team has been submitted, shall be placed in the same
position in the team as that occupied by the player who has taken ill or has been withdrawn.
7. No extensions of date will be granted. If clubs cannot agree on a date for playing a match, the match must be played on the final date for that round or be eliminated.
8. No player may represent more than one Club in any one year. Penalty is disqualification
of player concerned.
9. The use of distance finders are permitted in the tournament as per G.U.I. local rule. A player may
obtain distance information by using a device that measures distance only. If during a stipulated
round, a player uses a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other
conditions that might affect his play (e.g. gradient, wind speed, temperature etc.), the player is in
breach of Rule 14-3 of the Rules of Golf , for which the penalty is disqualification, regardless of
whether any such additional function is actually used.
10. Matches are played 4 at home and 3 away or vice versa according to the draw.
11. Members of teams must be at least 21 years of age by the 1st January 2017.
12. No green fees are chargeable to members of a team for practice, during the seven days prior to the match. It is suggested that 1 free practice round be made available as per G.U.I guidelines. The Final shall be played from the White Patches (Tee Boxes). The use of Buggies is prohibited unless accompanied by an up-to-date medical certificate. However the Home Club’s rule on this must be observed.
13. The winning club in each round must notify the result not later than two days after conclusion of the match to the office Carlow Golf Club - Tel: (059) 9131695 or email: email@example.com
14. With a view to reducing travel costs for participating Clubs in the preliminary and early rounds
of the tournament, the draw will be made on a geographical basis. Accordingly, four pools will
be created with the Winners of each group going forward to the Semi-Finals which will be played in Carlow on Saturday 9th September 2017.
The Final will take place the following day Sunday 10th September 2017.
15. The Trophy shall be held by the winning Club and such Club shall be responsible for the safe custody and return to Carlow Golf Club before the final the following year.
16. The decision of the Carlow Golf Club shall be final on any question arising out of this tournament.